Monday, September 20, 2010

Harsh's Post

My Labor Day Vacation
By: Harsh
General Sherman

During the Labor Day vacation, I went to Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park with five other families. We started our trip at six o’ clock in the morning. After everybody got ready, we jumped into the car and headed out. After a long drive, we finally reached Sequoia National Park. We first drove to the Kaweah River and got off. We hiked down to the edge of it and waded in. It was freezing! I would have swept into the current and have fallen down a waterfall if my dad hadn’t held on to me. We finally reached the other end of the river and took lots of pictures. There was a small creek that flowed away from the river and then eventually flowed back. We started building a dam with rocks that blocked the creek, but even after we built it, some water flowed through, but not as much. Then we crossed the river and got back into our car and started driving again. Our next destination was The General Sherman Tree, which is the largest living tree in the world (by volume). It was huge! I felt like an ant standing next to it and I couldn’t even see the top! After that, we drove to Moro Rock. We weren’t allowed to drive up to the top, so we hiked a mile up to the top. What a view! You could see for miles, but I was freaking out because, as some of you might know, I’m afraid of heights. Now I’m not saying the 13th floor of a hotel high. I’m talking 6,000 feet in the air and just three feet away from a sheer drop, only protected by a fence. What things are you afraid of? Anyway, after we hiked down, we drove through the tunnel log, which is technically a fallen tree with a tunnel through it. Then we drove to our hotel in Fresno. After a good night’s sleep, we took off to Kings Canyon National Park, which had sheer drops on the side of the road 5,000 feet high. Our first stop was Grizzly Falls, a beautiful waterfall with many rocks and boulders in it and surrounding it. For a while, we hopped around on the stones, trying not to get wet. After that, we decided to climb the waterfall. We got halfway up, but then decided it was dangerous and so we stopped. We sat there for half an hour, enjoyed the view, and then climbed down. Then my dad spotted some smoke. Wildfire! We drove towards it, but then discovered that it was a controlled fire, so we drove to another waterfall. After parking our car, we hiked down to the waterfall and took lots of pictures. While we drove back to the hotel, I spotted the fire. It wasn’t much, but it created lots of smoke. The next day we drove to the St. Louis Reservoir and climbed down to the water. There we found many flat rocks, which were perfect for skipping. Between the kids, I held three records, farthest, highest, and most number of skips, which was ten. that we called it a day and drove home. I had always wanted to visit Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, and I finally did. Where have you recently gone to? Which places do you want to go to and what will you do there?  

14 comments:

Savita said...

Well, I am scared of roller coasters. I think they are super fast. I afraid of them because I think the roller coaster will not stop at the end of the ride. I recently went to New York and Washington D.C. It was an AWESOME trip! I want to visit Florida and Oregon. In Florida I want to visit Disney World and in Oregon I want to visit Crater Lake. That is what I am scared of and where I want to visit.

Danhee said...

I'm afraid of heights, like you Harsh. I get really scared when I look down from a high elevation. I can't even imagine 6,000 feet! Over my Labor Day weekend, I went camping at Gilroy. It wasn't exactly at Gilroy though, it was a little farther. My campsite is called "Coyote Lake." When I first arrived there, I skipped stones at a BIG lake they have there. Later I played badminton with my older sister and my friends. We got tired so we got in my friend's tent and watched a movie, Pink Panther. In the middle of the movie, our parents called us over to eat dinner. After our delicious dinner, we finished the movie and roasted marshmallows. We sang camp songs at the same time. It was getting late, around midnight, so our parents decided to leave. Unfortunately, we did not sleep there.

Great Post!

Shaan said...

I am really afraid of heights too! I recently went to Houston, Texas. Where I recently met two cousins one of them ten and one thirteen. I want to go to Hawaii my parents have been there and they said there are beaches for miles and that they had a lot of fun. One thing I really want to do is wind surfing but I don't know if my parents will let me.

Rohan.I said...

I am afraid of getting hit with a baseball when it is baseball season. The places I have recently visited is Washington D.C. and New Jersey. In Washington D.C. my family and I went to the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, the Jefferson Memorial and best of all the White House. We took lots of pictures in front of them. We got to go inside the White House for a tour. It was very big. the rooms were really cool. There was a library room filled with books. The Library Room was my favorite room in the White House. We spent 2 days at Washington. Then we went to New Jersey to visit both of my cousins.
I had a great time with my cousins. We watched movies,we played basketball and played volleyball.

-Rohan.I

Julie S. said...

I'm afraid of nothing basicly, but If you ask me what I'm REALLY are afraid of, I'm kind of afraid of the dark. I recently been to San Fransisco Zoo(AGAIN). I just love it! You can see horses(I really love)and plus you can pet goats!!!
I just LOVE looking at animals.
I want to go and visit the General Sherman. I heard there is a place to ride horses there. The General Sherman is so cool because you can acually go through it. Good post Harsh.

Jamie C. said...

Answering the first question: I'm afraid of the dark so I am often really cautious in the dark. As for the other questions, I have recently been to Alcatraz. I want on a tour around the prison there. I would like to go to China and see the Great Wall or go to Florida to enjoy its heat, humidity, and eat the oranges there.

Niraj said...

During the labor day weekend I visited Lassen Volcanic Park. I went on a trail called Bumpass Hell. There was boiling pools which were up to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. It smelt of sulphur. I didn't like the smell. On the way back I saw Mt. Lassen, the dormant volcano. It was so close! Next day we went to Lake Shasta Caverns. Over there we took a quick boat ride across the lake. On the other side a bus took us uphill to a big cave area where we saw stalagmites and stalactites. There were many passages in the cave. It was cool. There was also formations that looked like Santa Clause, Indiana Jones, Crescent moon, bacon etc. After that we did a tiny fossil mining and collected nice fossils. We had a great time during the holiday.

Naren said...

I have once gone to Seattle. In Seattle, I saw the space tower far away. It was huge!! When I came closer it looked tiny. No wonder the tower used to be the tallest in the 1950s. I also saw lots of bridges. Anyways, I wish I could go to Dubia. I would go there because one of my cousins live there. I would also go there to see the Burj Khalifa , the tallest man-made structure ever built, because I want to see how big it is. Also because I would see the Dubia Fountain or whatever it is called next to the Burj Khalifa. That is why I would want to go there.

Andy said...

I am also afraid of heights sometimes. When I was little, I went to the Grand Canyon. I thought it was really crazy that there were no fences that blocked you from falling of the cliff. In the October break, my family is planing to go to Hawaii. We are going to live in a condo we rent from someone. The condo resort we will live in has a giant swimming pool! My family will go snorkeling too. The boat we will go on is pretty big and serves yummy food. I am looking forward to the trip.

Jessie W. said...

I am also very scared of heights. I went to Seattle for a cruise. We went there three days early three days early on the first day we went to my mom's friend's house. We went to the park that day. I was happy when my mom said we were staying there because she has kids and they are very nice. Then we went to sleep. The second day we went to space needle. The elevator took only 41 seconds to go to the deck. Space Needle is about 605 feet. The next day we went to Mount Rainier National Park. We went on the went on trail Paradise. We climbed so high that when I looked down Everything looked like a one inch speck so I knew we were very high. The view was great. I really want to go to Costa Rica. If I went there I would play on the beaches. I think I will get a good chance of going there because my mom really wants to go there.

Rohan R said...

I am not really afraid of anything. The places I have recently been to is the Santa Cruz Boardwalk. My uncle found out that there is a beach where you can see fish in the water but we decided not to go there because my grandmother couldn't walk up slopes. My favorite ride in the boardwalk was the Loggers Revenge. I really want to go to Hawaii and go to the beaches. I have never been there and I want to go in the submarine over there. That is why I would really want to visit Hawaii.

Umair said...

I'am afraid of the scary dreams that frightens me at the night.I feel something is happening to me in real life.
Recently I went to Las Vegas and spent time in Circus Circus.There were some really cool rides I enjoyed.Also I went to San Diego Zoo.We saw dinosaur fossils, mammal fossils and Sabertooth fossils.We saw many animals.
I want to go to Sea World to see all the Killer whales,penguins and the narwhales.

Olivia said...

I am scared of spiders and don't blame me! I was born with arachnophobia (which is a fear for spiders).Some places I have recently been to Yellowstone. Well I wouldn't call that recently, but thats the only place I've been to since the start of summer vacation. We camped there for 4 whole nights.I was like a bug magnet because I got like 10 mosquitoes bites!!!!! Also there was 2 days of thunderstorms which freaked me out!!!!As you can see, Yellow stone was... AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

Agrima said...

I am afraid of heights, like many people, and this is because when I look down from a high place, then it seems like I could fall or whatever. I visited Crater Lake over the Labor day weekend, and it was really amazing. The lake looked like a carpet below us, and you just felt like you wanted to keep staring. Also, there were many legends, explanations, and stories about how the islands and lake were formed. That was really interesting. They also had some activities for kids, which helped you learn more, and also were really fun!