Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Risks and Inventions
By: Shivani
Thomas Edison and his invention of the light bulb.
 Last summer, I saw a band performance on my way to a game. I was amazed to see how well these young students performed together. In my mind, I thought I could never perform as well as them. This year, when I had the opportunity to sign-up for my school band, I decided to take the risk and try to learn a new instrument. Though at first I could not play a single note, I practiced every week and guess what!! I played a trio in my first performance.
What is a risk? I was surprised to read that one of the definitions of risk is “Threats and Opportunities”. I thought risks were only threats as a result of uncertain and unknown elements that could cause failures and areas to avoid. We normally neglect the opportunities and inventions aspect that may be hidden in the risks. Just imagine how the world would be like if nobody took risks due to the fear of failures. Do you think great inventions like the Iphone, Ipad, satellites, or even basic sources of necessities or luxuries like light, heat, road vehicles, airbuses and ships would have been possible without taking the risk to research and invent something new? The society mocked Steve Jobs when he introduced the $400 worth I-phone in a market when phones were available for free. He still took the risk and introduced his product into the market.We all are aware of the successful results. Did you know that Michael Jordan, the baseball rookie was knocked down in his first game with the Chicago Bulls? He finally became a favorite basketball player and led the team to win the Olympics. Thomas A Edison failed 6,000 times before finding the right filament for his light bulb. Isn’t that an amazing outcome of taking the risk to venture into an area that was unknown to mankind before these inventions were made?
There is a quote by Thomas Edison that said, “Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Failures and risks can lead to great things because of trying again. If you believe in what you do, have the courage to take a risk, accept and learn from the failures, and try again, then you are bound to succeed. The learning is in the journey and not in the end result. The journey gives us the exposure to new experiences to help us make better decisions and eventually gives birth to newer inventions. Are you willing to take the risk to try something new in spite of the possibility of failing initially? Just like I tried to learn the clarinet, please share one new area that you will risk to try this year.

8 comments:

Edward said...

Nice post ,Shivani! I am planning to enter the Lego competition to try to win a $100 Lego gift card. I just need to make a Lego vehicle that I think can help Lego City. My idea is a hotel on wheels. That's all, Overall, nice post!

George L. said...

I might not be a madman scientist, but that doesn't mean that I won't find something or invent something new. Do I look like I'm going to jump into a poison river? No, and I doubt I'm going to turn into a Newton Jr.?

Naren said...

Fantastic post Shivani! I will try to enter the National Spelling Bee. If you win, you get a lot of things.

Krisha said...

Great post! I am willing to take a risk for the sake of animals lives and that is why I have taken the risk of joining SODAPOP a club that might save lives and it could fail and bring shame to my name but I have faith in it and will keep participating. Once again, great post.

Santosh said...

I would really want to try learning algebra this year. It's hard to understand, but I'll get the hang of it.

Jasmin said...

Great post, Shivani! I am entering a math competition. If I win, I'll get $100! I know I'm not as good as Jeremy, but I might be able to get 3rd place.

Morgan said...

Hi Shivani,
I would like to sign up for a singing competition because I think I can really do it. I just need confidence, support, and practice.

Jacob said...

Hey Shivani,

I think that everytime I play basketball I am taking a risk, to see if I will do well or not.
But of I do not do well, I think that I should try my best and try to do well the next time. I am also doing the track meet for P.E. I am doing the mile, and this is also a competition and risk.