Saturday, May 2, 2009

Kedar's Post

San Jose Sharks
By Kedar

The San Jose Sharks are my favorite team in the National Hockey League (NHL). Ice hockey is played by six players from each team: the goalie, three forwards, and two defensemen. I like ice hockey because it combines two really awesome activities: ice skating and hockey. Ice hockey is very challenging because you must be able to handle the puck, skate, and keep the puck away from the other team at the same time.

The Sharks made it to the playoffs this year after winning the President's Cup. The President's Cup is awarded to the team that has the best regular season record. The regular season is the 82 games between the preseason and postseason. In the playoffs, there are four rounds. The first round, the quarterfinals, semifinals. and the finals. In the first round there are 16 teams (8 from each conference). Half of the teams are eliminated after each round until there is only one team from each conference left. In the playoffs, a team is eliminated once they lose 4 games. The maximum number of games that can be played in a match is 7. Last year, the Sharks beat the Calgary Flames 4 games to 3 in the first round, but then lost to the Dallas Stars 4-2 in the quarterfinals.

This year, the Sharks lost to the Anaheim Ducks in the FIRST ROUND 4-2. First they were losing 2 games to 0, then 2 games to 1, then 3-1, then 3-2, and finally they lost the sixth game 4 goals to 1. A lot of people had high hopes for this year because of the Sharks regular season record, but I guess there is always next year.


What is your favorite sports team if you have one? Why? Do you think the San Jose Sharks will win next year?

6 comments:

Nikita said...

I don't have a favorite sports team, but I do have a favorite sport. It's ice skating!! I love the way the skaters spin and do their routines so smoothly. I ice skate as well. I have a gut feeling that the Sharks just might win. If they work hard, than why not?!

Neeraj said...

Well, I also love the sj sharks. One reason is that they play with aggressiveness and they play the game right. They are very sportsmen like and play the game fairly. Even though they didn't win this year,I know that they will win next year. The team is very well built and might not win the Presidents Trophy but they will win the Stanley Cup.

By the way- Awesome post

Katherine said...

Which sport do you mean? Any? If it was basketball, it would be the Golden State Warriors, but my favorite sport isn't basketball, it's just that my brother likes them best and we have to listen to the games on the radio with him during dinner. I think that the San Jose Sharks are the best hockey team ever! Next year, I'm certain that they will win! They rock! My favorite sport is.... well, I don't have a favorite, because all sports are fun in their own way!

Ishan said...

I'm not really a big fan of ice hockey but I've heard that the SJ are pretty good. My favorite team is actually a country team...which is the famour, one-of-a-kind, awesome, soccer team of WORLD CUP FIFA...........BRAZIL!!!!!!!!!!!! Brazil is an awesome! It is byfar the best team in the world! I hope they win World Cup FIFA next year in 2010 (the world cup FIFA comes every 4 years, I wish it came every year =[!)

Shoumil said...

I have many favorite sports teams in all types of sports. When it comes to Ice hockey I love the sharks. I like the sharks because they have many good players like the sharks goalie, Evgeni Nabokov and good offense and offense defense. I hope they win the presidents cup or the Stanly cup next season.

Jeffrey C. from rm.24 said...

I also like the SJ Sharks. Last year, when I was still in 2/3, my former family room teacher Mrs. Hoo said that she was a big fan of the Sharks. She had bought the seasonal ticket. It is most likely that the Sharks will win next year even though they have never won a NHL title. I think they will win becausethe Sharks are planning to get star players Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin who can team with Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau. If the Sharks get a chance in the NHL draft, they will get star guard John Taveres.